07 May 2013 ~ 7 Comments

Tech Tuesday screencast: Choose Your Own Adventure stories

Choose Your Own Adventure stories allow readers to pick the course of the story they read. The story changes based on the decisions that they make. These stories can be great fun for students as wrap-up activities to stories they’ve read (how does the story progress from here?) or simply as a creative writing activity.

Google Forms (available in Google Drive) provides a great format for creating Choose Your Own Adventure stories. This episode gives the basics on using Google Forms to create Choose Your Own Adventure stories. This Tech Tuesday screencast is brought to you by the Ditch That Textbook blog at www.ditchthattextbook.com.

Link to Google Drive: http://drive.google.com

(For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links, “like” Ditch That Textbook on Facebook and follow @jmattmiller on Twitter!)

7 Responses to “Tech Tuesday screencast: Choose Your Own Adventure stories”

1. Paula Neidlinger 7 May 2013 at 12:53 pm Permalink

Great idea- use Google Forms, but I haven’t tried this before…. also haven’t experimented with the page breaks & linking the forms in sequential order…… will give it a try!

Thanks

• Matt Miller 7 May 2013 at 12:56 pm Permalink

Paula, you’re so brave to try new stuff, I should have guessed that I would get a comment like this from you! It’s pretty fun, but my students tended to get lost with all the different pages. Having a written plan really helped them out.

2. Tim Downing 2 July 2013 at 2:15 pm Permalink

Great Idea, but what does the final product look like? Does it look like a form?

• Matt Miller 2 July 2013 at 11:02 pm Permalink

It does. It’s a form. When the reader is finished, he/she reads the end of the story and, after clicking the “submit” button, can view a graph of what endings other readers selected.

3. Kirsten 4 February 2014 at 7:20 pm Permalink

Thanks for the CYOA format. I used it to create a survey about whether my students were taking the AP test or not, with their original answer sending them to a “yes” or “no” page with additional questions.

Thanks a million!

• Matt Miller 4 February 2014 at 7:22 pm Permalink

Awesome! Way to go Kirsten!

• Adam 7 April 2014 at 2:55 pm Permalink

Matt: Thanks for the idea!! Our county conducts “Google Slams” each month where we get 3 minutes to share a “cool tool” or idea for using Google Apps. I would like to share this in April and will definitely promote your blog with your permission. Please let me know. Thanks!