Think of the most important languages students could learn to prepare them for the future. What makes your list?
Chinese? Arabic? Spanish? (Deep down inside, my Spanish teacher heart hopes you picked Spanish …)
What about code?
Coding — the language used to create apps, computer software, anything on the Internet, etc. — is definitely the wave of the future.
In fact, Apple CEO Tim Cook said he would encourage children all over the world to pick coding over English as a “second language” to learn.
Interested in helping kids catch this wave but are unsure where to start? We’ve got you covered.
Kasey Bell and I discuss the Hour of Code, a great place to start for teachers of any grade level and content area to introduce coding to students. The Hour of Code is a worldwide event that officially runs from Dec. 4-10, but the resources are available whenever you need them.
Listen using the player below …
… or click one of the links below to listen:
Google Play: http://subscribeonandroid.com/googleteachertribe.libsyn.com/rss
Our Google news and updates include:
- New languages now supported in Google Docs and Slides files, as well as Docs editors templates
- Copy comments and suggestions in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Insert images more easily in Google Docs, Slides, and Drawings
- Google Classroom update: You can now attach files you don’t own and it will automatically make a copy.
- Google Edu in 90: Using Google Keep in the Classroom
- Update to the Google for Edu website: https://edu.google.com
- How to embed your Twitter feed directly into a Google Site
- Four creative “experiments” showcase the potential of Google Assistant
Full show notes are available at GoogleTeacherTribe.com/30.
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- follow +MattMiller16 on Google+!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
|+|| 01/05/2018||Taylorville CUSD||Taylorville, IL|
|+|| 01/08/2018||Princeville CUSD||Princeville, IL|
|+|| 01/26/2018||Erie 1 BOCES||West Seneca, NY|
|+|| 01/29/2018||Jackson R-2 School District||Jackson, MO|
|+|| 02/02/2018||California League of Schools (DBC)||Monterey, CA|
|+|| 02/07/2018||Ditch That Homework Workshop (Region 8 ESC)||Fort Wayne, IN|
|Venue:||The Summit |
1025 W. Rudisill Blvd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46807
|+|| 02/08/2018||Ditch That Homework Workshop||Mishawaka, IN|
|Venue:||Northern Indiana Educational Service Center (NIESC) |
56535 Magnetic Drive
Mishawaka, IN 46545
|+|| 03/07/2018||Delaware Association of School Admin||2 Skype Presos|
|+|| 03/16/2018||Lake Shore Central School||Angola, NY|
|+|| 06/21/2018||The Suite Life Conference||Washington, IN|
|+|| 08/09/2018||St. Joseph Grade School||South Bend, IN|
|+|| 08/15/2018||St. Anthony de Padua Catholic School||South Bend, IN|