Educators have incorporated Flipgrid video discussions into their classes all over the world. Flipgrid Fever is a real thing and students are responding.
There’s a way to help students have more success with their Flipgrid videos, though.
I recently dug into Erik Palmer’s Well Spoken, a book encouraging teachers to support students in developing their speaking skills.
When Flipgrid is combined with Palmer’s PVLEGS approach to speaking, their Flipgrid videos can have even more power.
This week’s episodes of the Ditch That Textbook podcast cover that and other topics, including:
- A research-backed tip to help students develop growth mindset
- How to deal with the “afternoon dip” — and help your students deal
- A new take on creating student work in G Suite (Google Apps)
(PS: If you’re a Flipgrid fan, stay tuned to the podcast this week — I’ll interview Joey Taralson and Adam Parker-Goldberg with awesome Flipgrid implementation ideas! Show will air Friday, March 23, 2018.)
Scroll down to hear these episodes below!
How you can listen to the Ditch That Textbook podcast
1. On the Anchor app. This is a great place to follow the show so you can quickly and easily call in to the show and listen to it the moment it’s published. Go to anchor.fm for the app and search “Ditch That Textbook” to find and favorite the show. Click here to view the show on Anchor.
2. Right here on the blog. I’m planning on publishing podcast recap posts here every Tuesday. I’ll embed the shows right into the posts. You can listen to them without downloading anything!
3. iTunes / Apple Podcasts. If you have an iPhone, this may be your best option. Click here to find the show on iTunes / Apple Podcasts.
4. Google Play Music. If you have an Android phone, this may be your best option. Click here to find the show on Google Play Music.
Many of us know of “growth mindset” as the idea of “yet” — I can’t do it *yet*. But there are other small adjustments we can make in the classroom to help students better develop growth mindset.
Have you ever started a project and got stuck before you ever got started? There are some things we can do to help students overcome that obstacle and get started.
We spend so much time helping students with their writing skills. Giving them some guidance on speaking can have huge benefits. Here’s a model for it, and it works GREAT with Flipgrid.
With online documents and slides, we often stick to the status quo for size. If certain work isn’t going to be printed — or displayed on a projector — why do we keep it in traditional letter size? Here’s a case for rethinking our digital working spaces.
There’s a trough in our thinking abilities in the afternoon. It can have a profound effect: as much as having a couple alcoholic drinks. How can we position students to succeed — in class and on standardized tests?
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- follow +MattMiller16 on Google+!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
|+|| 05/19/2018||Texas Google Summit with Kasey Bell||Austin, TX|
|Register to attend|
|+|| 06/01/2018||MSD of Martinsville||Martinsville, IN|
|+|| 06/04/2018||Granbury ISD||Granbury, TX|
|+|| 06/05/2018||Columbus City Schools||Columbus OH|
|+|| 06/06/2018||School City of Mishawaka||Mishawaka, IN|
|+|| 06/07/2018||Lafayette eLearning Conference||Lafayette, IN|
|+|| 06/12/2018||2nd Annual Learn, Explore, Adopt and Deliver (LEAD) Conference||Cleveland, OH|
|+|| 06/13/2018||InnEdCo||Keystone, CO|
|+|| 06/19/2018||Tyler ISD||Tyler, TX|
|+|| 06/20/2018||TransformED Conference||Waco, TX|
|+|| 06/21/2018||Barr-Reeve Jr/Sr High School- Washington Community Schools||Washington, IN|
|+|| 07/24/2018||Regional Math & Science Conference||Amarillo, TX|
|+|| 08/01/2018||Flipgrid Event + Evening Live Stream||Minneapolis, MN|
|+|| 08/02/2018||Virginia Beach Schools||Virginia Beach, VA|
|+|| 08/09/2018||St. Joseph Grade School||South Bend, IN|