Fifth-grade students in Andrew Fenstermaker’s class in Iowa are creating podcasts about what they’re learning — and what ignites their passion.
They take a planning sheet and think through the entire process.
They create an image to represent their podcast.
They plan some episodes.
Then they start creating and recording, editing the whole thing in WeVideo.
When they’re done, the podcast is hosted on Flipgrid, where others can respond and reply.
Why do they love it? Andrew’s students tell us in their interview for the Ditch That Textbook Podcast.
“We get to learn about what WE talk about. We have our own voice. We get to talk about our own things that we want to learn about and some things that we might know.”
“Other people can listen to what we think about certain topics. And it’s fun!”
Hear the voices of all four students and the process on this episode below!
And check out their podcasts here: https://flipgrid.com/5fzpodcast
How you can listen to the Ditch That Textbook podcast
1. On the Anchor app. This is a great place to follow the show so you can quickly and easily call in to the show and listen to it the moment it’s published. Go to anchor.fm for the app and search “Ditch That Textbook” to find and favorite the show. Click here to view the show on Anchor.
2. Right here on the blog. I’m planning on publishing podcast recap posts here every Tuesday. I’ll embed the shows right into the posts. You can listen to them without downloading anything!
3. iTunes / Apple Podcasts. If you have an iPhone, this may be your best option. Click here to find the show on iTunes / Apple Podcasts.
4. Google Play Music. If you have an Android phone, this may be your best option. Click here to find the show on Google Play Music.
032 — Student podcasts with WeVideo and Flipgrid
033 — What to do now that Padlet isn’t free
034 — Google Apps for Littles: Believe they can!
035 — On copy/paste cheating and “making kids stop”
036 — My daughter Cassie reviews Poptropica
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- follow +MattMiller16 on Google+!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
|+|| 06/01/2018||MSD of Martinsville||Martinsville, IN|
|+|| 06/04/2018||Granbury ISD||Granbury, TX|
|+|| 06/05/2018||Columbus City Schools||Columbus OH|
|+|| 06/06/2018||School City of Mishawaka||Mishawaka, IN|
|+|| 06/07/2018||Lafayette eLearning Conference||Lafayette, IN|
|+|| 06/12/2018||2nd Annual Learn, Explore, Adopt and Deliver (LEAD) Conference||Cleveland, OH|
|+|| 06/13/2018||InnEdCo||Keystone, CO|
|+|| 06/19/2018||Tyler ISD||Tyler, TX|
|+|| 06/20/2018||TransformED Conference||Waco, TX|
|+|| 06/21/2018||Barr-Reeve Jr/Sr High School- Washington Community Schools||Washington, IN|
|+|| 06/24/2018—06/27/2018||ISTE||Chicago, IL|
|+|| 07/24/2018||Regional Math & Science Conference||Amarillo, TX|
|+|| 07/30/2018||Oklahoma City Public School Resource Center||Oklahoma City, OK|
|+|| 08/01/2018||Flipgrid Event + Evening Live Stream||Minneapolis, MN|
|+|| 08/02/2018||Virginia Beach Schools||Virginia Beach, VA|