When families are part of the learning community it has profound effects on the students. We want parents and guardians to feel involved in their child’s learning and welcomed in our classroom.
Some families are involved and engaged from the moment their child steps foot in your classroom. Others may be more difficult to hook in but all families want to know how their child is doing in school.
A2 I think offering varied ways to “see” into the learning is 🔑. Not all Ps can volunteer during the day; not all want to. But ALL want to know what’s going on. So easy w tools like @Seesaw and @Flipgrid. Also student portfolios, etc. where S can demo lrng for Ps #ditchbook
— Rachel Marker (@rachelmarker) May 11, 2018
We want to engage all of our families. But how do we make sure we are really connecting with everyone?
Lucky for us there are many apps out there for educators to choose from to give families a window into our classroom. In a recent #DitchBook Twitter chat, moderated by Rayna Freedman participants shared tons of recommendations for tried and true communication tools along with other great suggestions for connecting families with the classroom.
Check them out in the summary of this week’s chat below!
Want to get in on the next #DitchBook Twitter chat?
- They happen every Thursday at 7 p.m. Pacific / 8 p.m. Mountain / 9 p.m. Central / 10 p.m. Eastern.
- They often run for 30 minutes. Many times, moderators will offer bonus questions for those that want to continue chatting.
- Check out what’s happening on the #DitchBook Twitter chat by clicking here. (Even if you don’t have a Twitter account!)
- New to Twitter? Want to know the basics? Check out my Twitter guide for teachers.
- Want to sign up for Twitter? Here are the directions.
- Having trouble? Still unclear on how a Twitter chat works? Feel free to tweet to these #DitchBook ambassadors and they’ll help — Karly Moura @karlymoura, Sean Fahey @seanjfahey, Sandy Otto @sandyrotto, Rachel Marker @rachelmarker, Evan Mosier @emosier3, Mandi Tolen @TTmomTT, Craig Klement @craigklement, Tara Martin @taramartinedu, Krista Harmsworth @zonie71, Anne Kamper @annekamper, Rayna Freedman @rlfreedm, Lance McClard @drmcclard, Stephanie DeMichele @sdemichele or David Platt @herrplatt!
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
- like Ditch That Textbook on Facebook
- follow @jmattmiller on Twitter
- check out the #DitchBook community on Twitter
- follow Ditch That Textbook on Pinterest
- follow +MattMiller16 on Google+!
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
|Date||Event / Event Details||City / More Info|
|+|| 06/01/2018||MSD of Martinsville||Martinsville, IN|
|+|| 06/04/2018||Granbury ISD||Granbury, TX|
|+|| 06/05/2018||Columbus City Schools||Columbus OH|
|+|| 06/06/2018||School City of Mishawaka||Mishawaka, IN|
|+|| 06/07/2018||Lafayette eLearning Conference||Lafayette, IN|
|+|| 06/12/2018||2nd Annual Learn, Explore, Adopt and Deliver (LEAD) Conference||Cleveland, OH|
|+|| 06/13/2018||InnEdCo||Keystone, CO|
|+|| 06/19/2018||Tyler ISD||Tyler, TX|
|+|| 06/20/2018||TransformED Conference||Waco, TX|
|+|| 06/21/2018||Barr-Reeve Jr/Sr High School- Washington Community Schools||Washington, IN|
|+|| 06/24/2018—06/27/2018||ISTE||Chicago, IL|
|+|| 07/24/2018||Regional Math & Science Conference||Amarillo, TX|
|+|| 07/30/2018||Oklahoma City Public School Resource Center||Oklahoma City, OK|
|+|| 08/01/2018||Flipgrid Event + Evening Live Stream||Minneapolis, MN|
|+|| 08/02/2018||Virginia Beach Schools||Virginia Beach, VA|