Look no further. Click here to get in touch with me to discuss your needs now!
Teachers walk away from my workshops, keynotes and presentations with concrete ideas they can use in the classroom tomorrow.
They also see the big picture: how do we use tech meaningfully, and how can we innovate to meet the needs of our students?
Keynote presentation (“Ditch That Textbook”) — Teachers are no longer the gatekeepers to education. With ubiquitous information available from Google searches, YouTube videos and social media, how do we as educators navigate the new landscape? It’s time to “Ditch That Textbook,” engaging students in digital spaces and rethinking our “textbook” beliefs about education. You’ll leave this session inspired and equipped to provide the most relevant education possible for your students.
Ditch That Textbook workshop (full day) — Teachers are no longer the gatekeepers to education. With ubiquitous information available from Google searches, YouTube videos and social media, how do we as educators navigate the new landscape? It’s time to “Ditch That Textbook,” engaging students in digital spaces and rethinking our “textbook” beliefs about education. You’ll leave this session with lots of practical, “use in class tomorrow” ideas for using technology in the classroom. You’ll also be inspired and equipped to provide the most relevant education possible for your students. Thorough digital handouts save links to all your valuable content in one place to refer back to later. Be sure to bring a laptop, Chromebook or tablet to get the most out of this workshop!
Google University workshop (full day or half day) — Come to Google Education 101! In this session (best as a half-day or full-day workshop), your Google Certified professor will lead you through a number of practical activities utilizing Google tools that apply to almost any classroom. Don’t think of your typical college lecture though. This class is hands-on! Leave with thorough digital handouts and ideas to implement immediately!
Custom professional development — Matt will work with you to create a professional learning experience that will meet the needs of your educators, equipping them and inspiring them to take their classrooms to the next level. Options include (but are not limited to) technology training, one-on-one or small-group coaching and full-day or half-day workshops with custom content. Matt has even taught example lessons in real classes of students (click for more)!
Virtual keynotes and presentations — Matt can deliver keynotes and other presentations via Skype, Google Hangouts or other video chat technologies to small or large groups.
Conference sessions — Matt presents 45- to 60-minute presentations on the following topics. Each is accompanied by thorough digital resources that attendees can access any time after the session. (See full session descriptions at the bottom of this page.)
- Connecting Classrooms to the World
- Google Genius: Practical Google Activities for Class Tomorrow
- Ditch That Homework: Strategies to Free Yourself and Your Students
- Game Show Classroom: Fun, Engaging Formative Assessment
- The Lightning Round: 60 Powerful Tools in 60 Minutes
- Sketchnotes: Tools and Tactics for Visual Notetaking
- The Digital Pirate: “TECH Like a PIRATE”
- Deep Learning with Google Tools
- Instant Virtual Field Trips with Google Maps
- Google’s Buried Treasure: Tricks and Tools You’ve Never Seen
- Educational Technology the Right Way
- Become a Google Classroom Master
- Video Projects: Making Them Practical and Fun
- Becoming a Connected Educator: Finding a Million New Ideas
Ready to bring this kind of professional development to your school, school district or event? Click here to contact Matt for availability and details!
Matt has given more than 100 presentations to thousands of educators at dozens of events all over the United States. He combines a conversational, engaging speaking style with loads of resources.
- International Society for Technology in Education (2015-2016)
- Indiana Connected Educators Conference (Featured Speaker 2015)
- Illinois Computing Educators Conference (Featured Speaker 2016)
- Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (Featured Speaker 2016)
- MassCUE Conference, Foxboro, Massachusetts (Featured Speaker 2016)
- Nebraska Association of Middle Level Educators (Keynote 2016)
- iPadpaloozaEastTX, Kilgore, Texas (Keynote 2016)
- Make a Splash with Digital Learning Conference, Batesville, Indiana (Keynote 2016)
- Connecting the 4C’s Conference, Mt. Vernon, Indiana (Keynote 2015)
- WeLearn Conference, Yorktown, Indiana (Keynote 2015)
- eLead Conference, Anderson, Indiana (Keynote 2015)
- Power of Learning Conference, University of Indianapolis (Keynote 2015)
- Summer Spark Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Featured Speaker/Mini-Keynote 2015-2016)
Want to add your school, school district or event to Matt’s speaking calendar? Click here to get in touch!
Matt comes from the trenches of teaching, spending more than a decade in the classroom honing his teaching and tech-integration skills. He taught in classes ranging from the tech-sparse to 1:1 with Chromebooks.
Teachers and education experts have acclaimed Matt’s book, Ditch That Textbook: Free Your Teaching and Revolutionize Your Classroom.
- “Ditch That Textbook is filled with real-world advice for teachers looking to make their courses relevant for today’s student.” — Jeff Charbonneau, 2013 National Teacher of the Year
- “Ditch That Textbook provides the most developed process for moving from a textbook dominated pedagogy that I’ve seen thus far.” — Jon Corippo, CUE Rock Star Camps Founder
- “In an age where many schools are still training students to work in a factory, Matt Miller moves past sweeping rhetoric and shows teachers how to move their classes into the future.” — Don Wettrick, Teacher and Innovation Specialist
Matt is a Google Certified Innovator, one of roughly 1,000 in the United States. It’s a competitive program that accepts about 50 educators from hundreds of applicants. Matt completed his Google Teacher Academy in December 2014 in Austin, Texas.
He was named:
- One of the top 10 influencers in educational technology and elearning by Onalytica.
- “Top People in Education to Watch in 2016” by the Academy of Education Arts and Sciences, which hosts the Bammy! Awards.
- Golden Apple Award winner by WTHI-TV in Terre Haute, Indiana
Conference session summaries
- Connecting Classrooms to the World — Class doesn’t have to be confined to the four walls of the classroom anymore. Powerful communication tools like Skype, Google Hangouts and more can connect your students to other cultures and viewpoints as well as give them access to experts in your field and virtual field trips. Includes great, thorough digital handouts. Learn how to use these free tools to turn your class global!
- Google Genius: Practical Google Activities for Class Tomorrow — Googlize your classroom immediately! Learn about 30 Google-based activities that can be applied to almost any grade level, content area or specialization right away. Google tools will include the likes of Docs, Slides, Drawings, Maps. Thorough digital handouts give you everything you need to incorporate these activities in class tomorrow!
- Ditch That Homework: Strategies to Free You and Your Students — Wouldn’t it be nice if you and your students needed homework less and less until you didn’t need it at all? If we can be more efficient and effective, we can lessen our reliance on homework — maybe completely. This isn’t a homework-bashing session. It’s a practical one with strategies you can use in your classroom immediately. Use brain-friendly activities, creative approaches to assignments, student-centered practices and more.
- Sketchnotes: Tools and Tactics for Visual Notetaking — Sketchnoting is a fun, visual, brain-friendly way to remember important ideas and make sense of them for others. In this session, you’ll learn some sketchnoting basics and best practices. You’ll learn how to create them digitally or on paper. You’ll also get a chance to create your first sketchnote!
- The Digital Pirate: “TECH Like a PIRATE” — In “Teach Like a PIRATE,” author Dave Burgess shows teachers how to use passion and presentational skills to engage students and create memorable experiences. In this session, attendees will get lots of ideas for combining engagement hooks and technology to connect with students like never before. Matt will share specific tools in combination with PIRATE engagement hooks, giving teachers plenty of “use tomorrow” content. Includes “The Digital PIRATE,” a FREE ebook with 20 ideas for “tech-ing like a PIRATE”!
- The Lightning Round: 60 Powerful Tools in 60 Minutes — Hang on, because they’re going to come fast and furious! 60 useful digital tools are presented in 60 minutes. Get the most power for your hour! Everyone will come away with something they didn’t know about that they can use. Includes GREAT digital handouts to give you access to these tools any time.
- Deep Learning with Google Tools — Want to get past shallow, superficial work and have students dig deep into a topic? Google’s got your back. Learn about tools that can be used together to uncover new layers and dimensions of what students are studying. Dig into some of them hands-on in the session! Thorough digital handouts provided.
- Google’s Buried Treasure: Tricks and Tools You’ve Never Seen — Google’s offerings are so vast and wide. It’s impossible to know about them all. Learn about some of the obscure, lesser-known Google tools and tricks, and learn how they can be implemented in the classroom. You’ll get thorough digital handouts you can refer back to any time in the future.
- Instant Virtual Field Trips with Google Maps — Google Maps Street View takes students right on the street virtually of most places around the United States and the world. But it can also take them inside important landmarks and buildings. Learn how to start using these instant virtual field trips and where to find the best ones. Digital handouts save all of the resources in one place for reference later.
- Game Show Classroom: Fun, Engaging Formative Assessment — The best features of game shows can be used to review and teach in the classroom. Play with Kahoot!, Quizizz, Quizalize and Quizlet Live, learn about their best features and see how they can bring game show magic to your own classroom!
- Educational Technology the Right Way — Not all technology use in the classroom is equal. It can do way more than turn your existing activities digital and online. Learn how to “climb the educational technology ladder” and harness the true potential of your tech! Digital handouts include clear explanations of each level of technology usage and examples.
- Become a Google Classroom Master — Welcome to Google’s new classroom! Teachers and students all over the world are using Classroom to manage and share their documents effortlessly. How does it work, and what can you really do with it? This session takes you through the basics and more!
- Video Projects: Making Them Practical and Fun — Video equals instant engagement! Students love to record video projects, but they often like to watch them even more! Get practical video project ideas that cross over many subject areas and tips for making them happen. Learn about some free video-creation tools that can make your students’ videos come alive!
- Becoming a Connected Educator: Finding a Million New Ideas — There is a vast amount of teaching ideas, tips, tricks and people available online just waiting for educators to tap in. Find out how people like you are finding and sharing on sites like Twitter, Google Plus, Pinterest and others and how YOU can reap the benefits too! Use step-by-step instructions in this session and thorough digital handouts to get you started navigating these social media tools.
Ready to get started?
Use this form to contact Matt to get some more information, check availability or get a quote. It goes directly to his email, so it’s just as effective and efficient as sending him an email yourself!