The “paperless classroom” is a buzzword that flies around education and edtech discussions a lot. It’s for good reason, too.
A paperless classroom can …
However, this all only happens when the paperless push happens in a meaningful, purposeful way. Sometimes, teachers, administrators and school district leaders will push technology for the sake of technology. That’s to the detriment of the schools, teachers and, ultimately, the students.
For well-meaning teachers, administrators and leaders who want to do it the right way, the questions is often “How?”
We may know some tools in our digital toolbox. We may know that there’s power in harnessing technology in education. We may even have some great activities that use tech to help bring out the best in our students.
But to create that real, meaningful, purposeful digital dynamic in the classroom, it’s helpful to have a framework.
Alice Keeler (@alicekeeler / AliceKeeler.com) and I are co-writing a book called “Ditch That Homework” about how to break our fixation on meaningless, ineffective homework and replace them with solid pedagogical strategies. (Click here to join our free VIP Club to get updates and submit your own ideas to possibly be included in the book!)
Technology isn’t the silver bullet to our homework problem. (In fact, as Alice and I discuss and look into the homework issue, it’s more and more apparent that it’s a multi-faceted issue with no easy answers.)
However, technology can unlock great, effective, engaging learning. And when that happens, the need for at-home practice is diminished.
Alice and I brainstormed a framework for making the transition to digital activities, digital teaching and learning … a more digital classroom.
Here’s what we came up with:
(Click here to tweet the infographic!)
1. Communicate. Giving directions in person in class has been somewhat ineffective for years. Students forget. Or they write them down incorrectly. Having those directions available online, through a class website, Google Classroom or a learning management system is a solid step in the right direction.
Also, there’s a distinction between putting materials online and having the tasks live there. Uploading the same files and same activities as before going digital doesn’t change the task. It’s the same assignment. The same experience. Going digital without transforming learning leads to an “expensive pencil” mentality. If you did it before with paper and pencil, why use expensive technology to do the same task?
2. Ask. Meaningful technology use requires us to ask some key questions of ourselves:
3. Interact. When I started teaching, I was isolated. I was the only teacher of my subject matter in my school. I craved other like-minded educators to collaborate with. Today, we don’t have to be alone. And we don’t have to be the sole creator of new ideas and new resources. We can borrow ideas and activities and units from others. We can put our own twist on them. Customize them for our students’ unique needs. And if we struggle, we can reach out to others for support or help.
4. Iterate. The education system is like a barge. It’s slow to move. Slow to change. Takes forever for significant evolution to take place. However, if education is like a barge, classrooms are like jet skis. They’re nimble. Turn on a dime. If something fails, teachers can learn from it quickly and make necessary changes immediately. Because we have that flexibility, we can be confident in trying new ideas, even if they don’t work perfectly at first. Plus, students will appreciate our willingness to try something different.
5. Collaborate. A great digital activity (or digitally-rich classroom) doesn’t force students to work in isolation. For years, students have worked silently on their own. At their own desks. The best companies don’t force their great thinkers and doers to do that. Google didn’t force one employee to imagine and code its greatest products. We’re better together, as teachers and as students. Teamwork is — and will continue to be — a crucial workforce skill. So many digital tools let students work in shared spaces to create a product that’s better than they could create on their own.
6. Feedback. One of the fatal flaws of homework is the feedback loop. With traditional homework, students do an assignment and turn it in. Even when the teacher grades it that evening and returns it the next day, students are often disinterested. They’re not in that moment of cognitively wrestling with the problems or concepts in the activity anymore. “That’s so yesterday!” they would probably say. If we can provide timely, in-the-moment feedback, they’re more likely to internalize that. We can use comments in Google Apps and tools like Formative and game show-style review games to provide feedback in the moment of need.
[reminder]How can you use any combination of these steps to create meaningful digitally-rich learning experiences for students? Are there any concepts you would add to the list?[/reminder]
For notifications of new Ditch That Textbook content and helpful links:
Interested in having Matt present at your event or school? Contact him by e-mail!
Matt is scheduled to present at the following upcoming events:
[getnoticed-event-table scope=”upcoming” max=”15″ expanding=”false”]
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.
I remember as a small child I loved to go to my parents garden and eat
some of them.
Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed!
Very useful info specially the ultimate section 🙂 I handle such
information much. I was looking for this particular information for a very long time.
Thank you and good luck.
Heya! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
Carry on the great work!
Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would
really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your theme.
Great place to order super cheap soccer jerseys by Paypal.
cheap jersey maker
Most gates are 2- to 2-and-a-half-feet high.
Nike at present employs greater than 30,000 individuals all over the world and makes other sports attire and tools moreover footwear.
I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting
my own blog and was curious what all is needed to get set up?
I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% sure.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Kudos
cheap NFL jerseys
I enjoy the steel construction within this gate.
Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?
Can you hold up? So far so good. Goodnight bears.
If so, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below!
If moving to a bigger location is not on the cards, making
the top use of unused spaces within the office can solve
the issue of providing desks to the new members. This will further improve the
illusion of space in the kitchen while retaining an inviting decor.
All you have to do is choose the the one that shows your personality and type; then you’re off
to using a grand bedroom.
You actually make it seem really easy along with your presentation but I in finding this
matter to be actually one thing which I think I’d by no means understand.
It sort of feels too complicated and very large for me.
I am having a look ahead for your next publish,
I’ll try to get the hang of it!
I think that’s pretty self explanatory.
I do not know whether it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing issues with your blog.
It appears like some of the written text within your posts
are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening
to them too? This may be a issue with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
People are in and out and doors are left open.
Sure makes things easy for us older folks.
Quality posts is the key to interest the users to visit the web page,
that’s what this website is providing.wholesale hockey jerseys free shipping from China
There are many occasions where the kind of Shoes an individual
wears will permit them to be very expressive of their emotions.
Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon everyday.
It will always be useful to read articles from other writers and practice a little something from other sites.
Though I love a thriller every once in a while, I require my dosage of love
in stories to please the closeted romantic deep within me.
Which is why Low Stress verified to be such a scrumptious
shock because the love between Bellamy Lyston Price I have actually been putting off checking out several of the standalone romantic suspense
titles by Sandra Brown that had actually been released of late since some visitors
have actually attested to that several of
the titles were pure suspense with hardly any love
The Spring had us planning all of it, the Summer had us
doing the pop-up model month after month, and now we
are nearly to the place we shall be launching the net Craft South shop in just some
alfarrábio perder calorias de circunstância compadecimento Rodrigo Polesso não
trata só com dicas para afinar , ele se preocupa similarmente através de da psique
compaixão lente. http://dr.ess.aleoklop.ewww.your-hoster.de/info.php?a%5B%5D=receitas%20suco%20detox%20facil%20-%20%3Ca%20href%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2FReceitasfaceis.info%2Fdicas-para-emagrecer%2F%3EVeja%20mais%3C%2Fa%3E%20-
Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a data!
present here at this website, thanks admin of this site.
Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest
authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know
my readers would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free
to shoot me an e-mail.
Enter an experimental mobile application that offers restaurants, catering companies, delicatessens and hospitality organizations a way of helping get prepared food items that would otherwise be headed for landfills or composting into the
hands and mouths of people who need it.
One-Sentence Summary: Being an Airbnb host brings me about $600 each month more than traditional long-term leasing, after adjusting
for the added costs.
[…] 6 steps to transition to digital #edtech @jmattmiller ditchthattextbook.com/2016/05/26/6-s… […]