This post is guest written by Sue Tranchina. Sue is a high school business-technology and video production teacher at Shore Regional High School in West Long Branch, NJ. She is a Google for Education Certified Trainer and leads workshops on behalf of Professional Development Partner at Google for Education, Kiker Learning. Sue has led more than 50 Applied Digital Skills workshops in-person across the USA and virtually to educators globally. Sue also presented on the Applied Digital Skills Curriculum in the Google Theater at ISTE 2019. You can follow Sue on Twitter @SueTranchina and youtube.com/HowToWithSue.
Teachers are working harder now than ever before. In the face of the pandemic, we’ve been forced to reinvent nearly every element of our trade in order to adapt to remote or hybrid learning environments. The pandemic has also pressured us to feel that we should constantly be learning new tools and trying new strategies or resources.
Unfortunately, these stressors are pushing teachers everywhere to burn out. Still, we press on.
But we shouldn’t have to do it alone.
Google introduced a curriculum called Applied Digital Skills. Applied Digital Skills is a free, video-based, easy to use curriculum that infuses content standards into project based, authentic learning tasks anchored in Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) applications. As a high school video production and business technology teacher for over a decade, I’ve used Applied Digital Skills to help my students develop critical, job-ready digital skills, as well as fundamental soft skills (e.g. collaboration, critical thinking, creativity) while simultaneously meeting grade-level content standards. More importantly, students love it!
1) EASY TO USE
- Applied Digital Skills is true student-centered learning with technology infused.
- Designed by teachers, for teachers
- Each lesson contains
- ACTIVITIES: video tutorials, extension lessons, estimated time to complete, digital tools, & skills
- TEACHING MATERIALS: lesson plans, rubrics, certificates, example projects, starter projects, & video downloads
- Aligned with state standards & Reviewed by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Already in use by more than 1,000,000 students
2) TEACHES 21st CENTURY SKILLS
- 148+ lessons (& counting!) that are accessible anytime, anywhere
- Project-based curriculum that uses the Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) Apps
- Lessons that prepare students for jobs not yet invented by infusing job-ready skills and technology in each lesson: productivity, collaboration, organization, etc.
- Teach the 4 C's: communication, collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking
EXPLORE THE CURRICULUM FAVORITE LESSONS:
3) MAKES YOUR LIFE EASIER
4) POWER UP YOUR ASYNCHRONOUS INSTRUCTION
POWER UP YOUR ASYNCHRONOUS INSTRUCTION - Recommended resources:
- Applied Digital Skills Independent Extensions - QUICK LESSONS that are great for younger students or anchor activities
5) YOU CAN LEARN, TOO!
- You don’t have to master a tool in order to assign it to your students
- Lesson Collections to help review Google Workspace and prepare for Google Certified Educator Exams
- Lesson Collections to aid with teaching in hybrid and remote instruction
LESSONS FOR EDUCATORS & SCHOOL LEADERS - Lesson recommendations:
- Google Applied Digital Skills: Teach from Anywhere
- Google Workspace Training - learn or refresh you knowledge of Google Workspace (formerly G Suite)
- Create Quizzes in Google Forms - a top requested PD training session
- Lessons on Google Drawings or Google Sites
Finally, (again..) YES! THIS IS 100% FREE!
Usually, the PD for Applied Digital Skills is too!
If you are interested in Google sponsored PD with Sue, please email SueTranchina@gmail.com. Workshops can be delivered virtual or in-person (hopefully soon?!) in 1-2 hour sessions for groups of 35+.
If you are already using Applied Digital Skills, you can share your story here!
Are you looking for quality, meaningful professional learning that both equips and inspires teachers?
Matt provides in-person and virtual keynotes, workshops and breakout sessions that equip, inspire and encourage teachers to create change in their classrooms. Teachers leave with loads of resources. They participate. They laugh. They see tech use and teaching in a new light. Click the link below to contact us and learn how you can bring Matt to your school or district!
Is Matt presenting near you soon? Check out his upcoming live events!