When the calendar turns over a new year, for many of us, we're still in the middle of the school year.
So, when a new year starts in schools (at least in the Northern Hemisphere), two things happen:
1. It's an opportunity to look back, reflect, regroup, and set some goals.
2. It can also be a midpoint check and a time to course correct (or maintain what's working!).
Sure, we can jump right back into teaching and activities and classwork where we left off. Or we can take this natural reset point as checkpoint for the rest of the school year.
Oh, and let's do it in as little time as possible. Because we teachers are busy and have things to do. (Hey, we understand you!)
In this post, you'll find 10 activities and ideas to help your students make the most of the new calendar year, looking back and looking forward.
10 low-prep activities to kick off 2022
1. Start the year off with One Word.
2. Share your one word on Flipgrid!
3. Share your hopes and dreams for the upcoming year.
4. Get creative with the Adobe Creative Cloud Express About Me challenge.
Try out other fun Adobe Creative Cloud Express challenges:
- The January EDU Creative Challenge: Design a graphic that shares your creative identity! Instructions at http://adobe.ly/3FUO37G
- Book Cover challenge: Get the tutorial here
- Share with #AdobeEduCreative on social media
- Watch for new challenges in the ACE Facebook group
5. Try a Jamboard community building & goal setting activity
Looking for more Jamboard activities? Check out these post:
6. Welcome the new year with Google Slides!
7. Make a top 10 video of the past year.
8. Play snowball toss to build community.
9. Break IN to the new year with a digital escape room.
4 Letter Word Lock: YEAR
Secret code message reads: "At midnight we yell happy new ____"
9 Letter Word Lock: FIREWORKS
Hidden image reveals a GIF of fireworks.
8 Letter Word Lock: MIDNIGHT
Cryptogram reads: "The time we celebrate the start of the new year."
2 Digit Number Lock: 23
Solvemoji puzzle final equation is 15 + 8 = 23.
9 Letter Word Lock: CELEBRATE
Complete the crossword puzzle. Solution reads Excellent! You did it! Your FINAL lock combination is CELEBRATE.
10. Take a survey on how you learn best.
Are you looking for quality, meaningful professional learning that both equips and inspires teachers?
Matt provides in-person and virtual keynotes, workshops and breakout sessions that equip, inspire and encourage teachers to create change in their classrooms. Teachers leave with loads of resources. They participate. They laugh. They see tech use and teaching in a new light. Click the link below to contact us and learn how you can bring Matt to your school or district!
Is Matt presenting near you soon? Check out his upcoming live events!